Monday, August 02, 2010

Monday's List: Podcasts Part 1

I am a big journal writer, but I am also somewhat lazy in my writing habits, so I make a lot of lists in my journal.  I could list anything from the groceries bought, to things I'm grateful for, to books I'd like to read, or non essentials I would love to buy, if I had any non-essential money lying around.  You could call me an aggressive list maker, I would be fine with that title.  I think you can learn a lot about a person from the lists they create.
     With that being said, I'd like to introduce a new feature on this blog: Monday's List.  This week list is based on the podcasts I listen to, because I love podcasts and think everyone should investigate podcast possibilities.  Most are free to subscribe to, and cover just about any subject imaginable.  All podcast mentioned here can be found on itunes for free.  The included links will take you directly to the rss feeds for each podcast.  The ratings mentioned are just my suggestions to a conservative audience, and not actual ratings.  I listen to a lot of podcasts, so I decided to split this particular list in half. Look for the second half next Monday.


1.  60 Second Psych      Rated PG
     A weekly 1-2 minute commentary on the latest developments in in the science of brain and behavior from Scientific American
2.  60 Second Science     Rated PG
     Leading science journalists provide a daily minute commentary on some of the most interesting developments in science.  From Scientific American
3.  B&N Meet The Writers Video Interviews     Rated PG
     Watch as your favorite authors discuss their inspiration and influences, their favorite books and the reason they write.  http://www.barnesandnoble.com
4. Best Of YouTube     Rated PG
     The best of YouTube without searching through all the other random crap.  Best of YouTube
5.  Celebrity play list Podcast     Rated PG
      Artists, actors, and musicians, and others in the public eye expand on their favorite music in their own words, and play short sections from the songs.  It's really just a promotional tool for iTunes,  but I like it.  Each episode is usually 15-25 minutes long.  It's a good way to find new music.  Celebrity Playlist
6.  The Dog Trainer's Quick and Dirty Tips     Rated G
     The dog trainer explains how to get the polite behaviors you want, and then turn those behaviors into lifelong habits.  Good advice for training dogs of all ages.  The Dog Trainer
7.  Everything Creative-Exploring Creativity     Rated G
     This podcast explores creativity through interviews with artists and creative people of all types. I don't really think of bobsledding as being creative, but this program argues otherwise. Each episode is unique in that the interviewee from one episode becomes the interviewer in the next episode.  Everything Creative
8.  The House Call Doctor's Quick and Dirty Tips     Rated PG
     No topic is off limits as Dr. Rob Lamberts answers your most pressing medical questions with his trademark humor and straightforward advice.  House Call Doctor
9.  KQED The Writer's Block     Rated PG-13
     Weekly reading series featuring writers and performers of all stripes reading the latest short fiction, non-fiction, theater and poetry.  I have found a lot of good books through this podcast.  The Writer's Block
10.  LDS General Conference     Rated G
     This podcast is automatically updated after every general conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, (Mormons), to give you the latest general conference addresses.  The archives go back several years, so there is a ton of goodness to keep a person occupied, and edified.  LDS General Conference
11.  MacBreak Weekly     Rated PG  
      Because I love me a Mac; always have, always will.  The latest Mac news from the top journalists covering Apple today.  Funny in unexpected ways, this podcast can be a little on the long side at times, but it is worth having on in the background.  MacBreak Weekly
12.  MacWorld Video      Rated G
     Weekly video tips from Apple experts.  Valuable info, short and to the point.  MacWorld Video
13.  The Mortified Shoe Box Show     Rated PG-13 (possible swearing)
     A comic excavation of the strange and extraordinary things we created as kids.  Witness adults sharing their own letters, lyrics, poems, journals, lame rap songs, and home movies, pictures, and more.  How much do I love The Mortified Shoe Box Show?  Enough to keep it in my list of podcast subscriptions during the twenty two period in which no shows were produced.  I knew if I waited long enough, I'd be richly rewarded.  It is always a happy day at my house when a new Mortified comes out.  Mortified Shoe Box
14.  The Moth Podcast      Rated PG 13 (possible swearing)
     The Moth features true stories told by people from all walks of life to a live audience.  Engaging, funny and touching, sometimes just plain sad, but always interesting.  The Moth
15.  New BYU Speeches     Rated G
     Brings the newest Tuesday devotional and forum speeches given at BYU to your computer or ipod.  There is also a podcast that steams classic BYU speeches, but for some reason, I had a hard time concentrating on those speeches, although I know there is a lot of quality there as well.  http://speeches.byu.edu/rss/podcast2.xml
  

No comments: