Monday, September 13, 2010

Ruminations on Roscoe and A Small List For Monday

 
      Roscoe's growing list of issues is driving me crazy.  He's a sweet dog, but oh so neurotic.  So far his list of fears includes: the wind, getting into cars, (but he's completely fine once in the car), and now, other dogs.  Imagine my joy on Saturday, when our walk was filled with wind and many other dogs.  I came home with bruises on my arm from the way I had to hold the leash.  I am so glad fall is here, because when the wind actually causes things to move about, it is extra scary.  I wish I could talk to him and understand what goes through his mind when he goes into freak out mode.  I do feel like we made some progress on our walk today, though.
     If I could have a conversation with him I would tell him: There will always be wind that blows, vehicles to get into, and other dogs to deal with, so just get over it, little boy.  I am trying to be patient, and use every available teaching moment, but I could really do without your high pitched, anxiety filled screeching that makes everyone think I am beating you.
     Also, that beautifully calm Great Dane that you take such issue with, could flatten you with one paw, if you managed to find a way to actually provoke him.  Don't be stupid, my dear.

2 comments:

Steph Swindle said...

Poor Roscoe. Poor, poor Roscoe. I just have to give him a squeeze to calm him down. He would have done remarkably well in my jet tub with bubble bath in Miami. You could feel every inch of Katy relax when she was in there.

Saralou said...

I try to cuddle him whenever possible, but, yes, that's exactly what he needs. I could use a little jet therapy myself.