Sunday, October 04, 2009

B.Y.O.P.


I am staying with my dad this week, while my mother is in Florida visiting my sister. My parents only live a few miles away from me, but in some ways, visiting their house is like visiting a remote village in a far away country. No matter how often you have visited in the past, you never really know what to expect, or what you may find. You also never really know when the big storm may hit, causing the airlines to cancel flights and leave you stranded.
Because there are so many unknowns, I have learned to always come prepared. When going to their house always bring a book, cell phone, and any other incidentals that may serve to make your stay as pleasant as possible. When staying overnight or longer, the general rule of thumb is that you can't bring too much stuff. Don't take anything for granted.
For instance, on this particular trip, I brought my own cleaning supplies and can opener. However, yesterday I discovered an essential item I had neglected to bring along; a toilet plunger. I have looked in all the bathrooms throughout the house, and everywhere else I could think someone might hide a plunger, with no luck. So today I will go back to my house to retrieve my plunger. When will I ever learn? Always be prepared. and, of course, bring your own plunger.

No comments: